The Vertical Mezzanine Safety Gate enables workers to more safely work on an elevated platform by allowing easy access and safe restriction by either the push of a button or the pull of a cord. Ideal for areas with horizontal restrictions, the gate is designed to meet OSHA standard 1910.23 (a)(2) which includes a 42″ high handrail, 21″ high mid-rail, and 4″ high toe board. Once material has been delivered to your mezzanine, the gate closes by timer or other activation device to quickly protect the mezzanine ledge.
Mezzanine Fall Protection
While mezzanines are imperative in many industrial applications, mezzanine safety is also a major concern. It’s no surprise that industrial mezzanines pose a significant fall hazard, as they are by their design, an elevated working platform. For the most part, deck railing on industrial mezzanines cover the majority of any issue related to fall protection (check out our Industrial railing section if you don’t have this addressed already), but for specific instances where material needs to go from one platform to the next, or you are in an elevated work-space requiring access, our Horizontal Mezzanine Safety Gate may be just what you need!
Vertical Mezzanine Safety Gate
The Vertical Mezzanine Safety Gate enables workers to more safely work on an elevated platform by allowing easy access and safe restriction by either the push of a button or the pull of a cord. Ideal for areas with horizontal restrictions, the gate is designed to meet OSHA standard 1910.23 (a)(2) which includes a 42″ high handrail, 21″ high mid-rail, and 4″ high toe board. Once material has been delivered to your mezzanine, the gate closes by timer or other activation device to quickly protect the mezzanine ledge. You can also see our loading dock safety gates here.
We at EDGE Fall Protection understand that every situation is unique. This is why we’ve developed a standard horizontal mezzanine design to address mezzanine fall protection, that can easily incorporate a number of additional features and options to address your specific requirements.
- Operation Options
- Manual Mezzanine Safety Gate – Counter weighted for ease of use
- Electric Mezzanine Safety Gate – Electric operation and controls
- Electric Pneumatic Mezzanine Safety Gate – Electric Controls and operated Pneumatically. Pneumatic drive cylinder requires 90-100 psi clean and dry air
- Fully Pneumatic Mezzanine Safety Gate – For sparkless environments
- Mounting Options
- Deck Mount Option – Standard
- Face Mount Option
- Fabrication Material
- Powder Coated Safety Yellow Mild Steel (custom color available upon request)
- 304-2b Stainless Steel
- 316 Stainless Steel
- Additional Options
- Custom widths – 4′ -16′; Please call for other sizing options
- Custom Height options – columns may be extended for low, flat costs
- Radio Control Kit and Keypad – Operate the Electric Mezzanine Safety Gate by your forklift driver similar to a garage door
- Photoeye Kit – restrict closing or opening of the gate if there is an obstruction in the way
- Pull Cord – operate the Gate from a lower level by including a pull cord.
Partial Vertical Mezzanine Safety Gate Specifications:
Specialty custom designed, manual, fully electric, electric/pneumatic or fully pneumatic VERTICAL MEZZANINE GATE by EDGE Fall Protection, LLC. Toll Free/Fax: 844-314-1374. Website: www.edgefallprotection.com. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. The VERTICAL MEZZANINE SAFETY GATE is designed for elevated openings.
- Manual Operation; Model MGV – XX
- Electric Operation; Model MGVE – XX
- Electric Pneumatic Operation; Model MGVEP – XX
- Fully Pneumatic Operation; Model MGVP – XX
The VERTICAL MEZZANINE GATE is to be fabricated from structural or formed steel shapes, ASTM A-513; tubing; ASTM-A-500 Grade B, structural tube; ASTM-A-569, bars; of appropriate size and strength, welded construction. Optional materials include Stainless Steel (304 or 316L).
- Height: 42 inches (1067 mm).
- Mid-rail: weld to posts at 21 inches (533 mm) below top rail.
- Toeboard: 4 inches (102mm)
- Vertical members not to exceed 8 feet on center.
- Rollers to be minimum 2-5/8 inch diameter, concealed within toeboard. Rollers to be non-corrosive.
- Placards: Include two factory applied caution labels that describe the gate as being operable.
** NOTE TO SPECIFIER** DIFFERENT HARDWARE MAY BE PROVIDED WITH DIFFERENT MEZZANINE GATE SIZES. (SEE PACKING LIST)
** NOTE TO SPECIFIER** SELECT ONE OF THE OPERATION TYPES ABOVE AND DELETE THOSE THAT DO NOT APPLY
- Finish on all exposed surfaces to be Power Coat Safety Yellow, or Stainless Steel. Stainless Steel products to be mill finish, welds are ground smooth, not polished, and are factory acid washed, neutralized and rinsed.
** NOTE TO SPECIFIER** IF CHOOSING AUTOMATED OPERATION, PLEASE SEE OPERATOR SPECIFICATION BELOW. SELECT ONE OPERATOR AND DELETE THE REST.
DC Electric Operation
- One (1), 1/3 HP Low Voltage DC Electric Motor with all motor mounting hardware and drive system components.
- One (1), Pre-wired Control Panel (24 Volt DC controls) with integral push button assembly. Control Panel has built in Limit and Obstruction Sensors.
- Requires: 120 Volt, 10 AMP minimum, Single-Phase power supply (by others).
- Built-in Remote control Receiver with non-volatile memory for up to 60 different transmitter codes, customer programmable.
- Pneumatic cylinder to be double acting stainless steel construction. Cylinder to be factory mounted within operator housing. Provide hinged or removable access covers at operator housing.
- Provide manually operated electric valves to operate gate system. Main control panel to have directional control valve, filter-regulator-pressure gauge, and speed adjustment valves for up and down speeds. Control panel to be factory prepared to receive 1/4” OD nylon tubing into bulkhead fittings. Operator requires 110 VAC supply voltage, and 100 PSI clean, dry compressed air. Control circuits are 24 VAC. Main control panel to be independently housed in a NEMA 12 JIC enclosure.
- Control Stations: Control stations to be low voltage (24 VAC) manual push-button controls. Two (2) surface mount two-button (open-close) control station included standard per gate. (Additional control stations available as options.) Control stations to be NEMA 1.
- Optional Equipment: Provide Visual Warning Light which operates while gate is in the open position. Light turns off when close signal is activated. Light is factory located on control panel bottom.
Qualifies for most hazardous location installations. Pneumatic cylinder to be double acting stainless steel construction. Cylinder to be factory located within vertical support tube member at either side of opening. Provide removable access covers at maintenance openings in support columns. Operator requires 100 PSI clean, dry compressed air.
- Controls: Provide manually operated pneumatic valving to operate gate system. Main control panel to have directional control valve, filter-regulator-pressure gauge, and speed adjustment valves for up and down speeds. Control panel to be factory prepared to receive 1/4” OD nylon tubing into bulkhead fittings. Main control panel to be independently housed in a JIC enclosure.
- Control Stations: Control stations to be pneumatic operated manual push-button controls. Air volume cycle, provide two (2) 2-1/4” diameter push buttons (Open-Close). Control stations to be factory assembled with 1/8” OD nylon tubing connections factory located in bulkhead fittings on the top of the JIC enclosure. (2) two-button, open-close control station included standard per door (additional control station or pull cord activation available as options).
RELATED TOPICS: Mezzanine safety, mezzanine fall protection, mezzanine safety gate, vertical mezzanine safety gate