Roof Hatch Guardrail
Rooftop roof hatches, scuttle hatches and stairway hatches are most similar in the sense that they all pose a significant fall hazard. Often, while individuals are performing work on rooftops, these access points are left open so no one gets locked on top of the roof. While open, these pose both an OSHA violation, and a very real and deadly threat to all those on the rooftop. Our Roof Hatch Guardrail is a fully welded and assembled guardrail system. The system fits over an existing roof hatch and compression pads are tightened to secure the base. No penetrations or damage done to the roof. The Roof Hatch Guardrail also features a self-closing safety gate, grab bars, and a 24” safe landing zone for workers to safely enter and exit the roof hatch. Offered in a variety of sizes and finished per the customer’s requirements.
We’ve designed out Roof Hatch Guardrail to be the best available product on the market, let’s go over why:
- Installation – Our Roof Hatch guardrail comes standard as a fully welded assembly. This means that once on the rooftop, the railing system is simply lifted above the existing roof hatch and set onto the working surface. Once in place, tighten the compression pads to secure the railing and mount the self-closing safety gate with U-bolts that comes standard with each of our hatch guardrail systems. The entire process shouldn’t take more than 20 minutes once everything is staged. Of course, if you’re in a scenario where it will be impossible to get a fully welded roof hatch guardrail assembly onto the rooftop, simply let us know, and we can provide a breakdown model.
- Safe Roof Access – You’re getting this roof hatch guardrail to be in compliance, but also to create a safe roof access system for your rooftop. Our system covers all four sides of the roof hatch opening, and, as mentioned before, comes standard with a self-closing safety gate. Other systems often just offer a chain which requires an employee to re-chain the opening after transitioning (hooking up a chain while on an access ladder can be difficult) and only covers three sides of the opening. In addition, our 24″ safe landing zone allows employees to exit the roof hatch opening and firmly plant their feet on the rooftop before opening the industrial self-closing safety gate. This means no fidgeting with the safety gate while still on the access ladder.
- Product Quality – Our roof hatch guardrail is sourced, welded, and assembled right here in the USA. While most manufacturers assemble here in the US, we make a commitment to have the entire process be within the US borders. We do this primarily for quality assurance, but also because, for many government projects, it is required. We’re proud that our product comes for the United States, and we can confidently say that it meets the requirements of the Buy American Act and other domestic steel requirements while remaining at a competitive price point. Check out our ladder guards as well.
Give us a call, send us an e-mail, or fill out our Request For Quote. We’d love to work with you on your safety needs!
EDGE Roof Hatch Guardrail Specifications
- SECTION INCLUDES
- Roof hatch guarding.
- RELATED SECTIONS
** NOTE TO SPECIFIER ** Delete any sections below not relevant to this project; add others as required.
- Section 07400 – Membrane Roofing: Coordination of roof edge protection installation.
- Section 07410 – Metal Roof and Wall Panels.
- Section 07411 – Membrane Roof Panels: Coordination of roof edge protection installations.
- Section 07610 – Sheet Metal Roofing.
- Section 05500 – Metal Fabrications: Associated metal supports.
** NOTE TO SPECIFIER ** Delete references from the list below that are not actually required by the text of the edited section.
- American National Standards Institute (ANSI): ANSI A14.3 – American National Standards for Ladders – Fixed – Safety Requirements.
- American Welding Society: AWS D1.1 – Structural Welding Code – Steel.
- American Welding Society: AWS D1.3 – Structural Welding Code – Sheet Steel.
- British Standard BS 970 – Specification for wrought steels for mechanical and allied engineering purposes. General inspection and testing procedures and specific requirements for carbon, carbon manganese, alloy and stainless steels.
- British Standard BS EN 1562 – Founding. Malleable Cast Irons.
- California Occupational Safety & Health Administration (CAL OSHA): 1620 – Design of Temporary Railing.
- California Occupational Safety & Health Administration (CAL OSHA): 1621 – Railings and Toe Boards.
- California Occupational Safety & Health Administration (CAL OSHA): 1632 – Floor, Roof and Wall Openings to Be Guarded
- California Occupational Safety & Health Administration (CAL OSHA): 3211 – Wall Openings.
- California Occupational Safety & Health Administration (CAL OSHA): 3212 – Floor Openings, Floor Holes and Roofs.
- California Occupational Safety & Health Administration (CAL OSHA): 3213 – Service Pits and Yard Surface Openings.
- California Occupational Safety & Health Administration (CAL OSHA): 3214 – Stair Rails and Handrails.
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA): 29 CFR 1910.28 Duty to Have Fall Protection and Falling Object Protection.
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA): 29 CFR 1910.29. Walking-Working Surfaces.
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA): 29 CFR 1910.23 – Fixed Ladders.
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA): 29 CFR 1926.500 – Scope, Application, and Definitions Applicable to this Subpart.
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA): 29 CFR 1926.501 – Duty to Have Fall Protection.
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA): 29 CFR 1926.502 – Fall Protection Systems Criteria and Practices.
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA): 29 CFR 1926.503 – Training Requirements.
- Submit under provisions of Section 01300.
- Product Data: Manufacturer’s data sheets on each product to be used, including:
- Preparation instructions and recommendations.
- Storage and handling requirements and recommendations.
- Installation methods.
- Shop Drawings: Drawings showing plans, elevations, sections and details of components. Show member sizes and part identification, fasteners, anchors, fittings and evidence of compliance with structural performance requirements.
- Manufacturer’s Certificates:
- Certify that Railings and Base Castings are made in USA. Provide steel mill and foundry certificates for verification prior to shipment.
- Manufacturer must be American Welding Society Welding Certified for Welding Standards AWS D1.1 and AWS D1.3. Third party qualification documentation required prior to shipment.
- DELIVERY, STORAGE, AND HANDLING
- Deliver materials to the job site in good condition and adequately protected against damage as handrails are a finished product.
- Inspect rail sections for damage before signing the receipt from the trucking company. Truck driver must note damaged goods on the bill of lading if damaged product is found.
- Store products in manufacturer’s unopened packaging until ready for installation.
- Products to be palletized and labeled by roof level or designated drop zone.
- PROJECT CONDITIONS
- Field Measurements: Where handrails and railings are indicated to fit to other construction, check actual dimensions of other construction by accurate field measurements before fabrication.
- Warranty: Provide manufacturer’s limited two year warranty.
- 2 PRODUCTS
** NOTE TO SPECIFIER ** Delete one of the following two paragraphs; coordinate with requirements of Division 1 section on product options and substitutions.
- Substitutions: Not permitted.
- Requests for substitutions will be considered in accordance with provisions of Section 01600 – Product Requirements.
** NOTE TO SPECIFIER ** Delete article if not required.
- ROOF HATCH GUARDING:
** NOTE TO SPECIFIER ** Delete product not required.
- Product: Roof HatchGuard, Non-Penetrating Fall Protection.
** NOTE TO SPECIFIER ** Delete roof hatch sizes not required. Custom sizes are available.
- Roof Hatch Size (W x L): 30 x 54 in (762 x 1372 mm).
- Roof Hatch Size (W x L): 30 x 96 in (762 x 2438 mm).
- Roof Hatch Size (W x L): 36 x 30 in (914 x 762 mm).
- Roof Hatch Size (W x L): 36 x 36 in (914 x 914 mm).
- Roof Hatch Size (W x L): 48 x 48 in (1219 x 1219 mm).
- Roof Hatch Size (W x L), (in / mm): _.
- Roof Hatch Size: As Specified by Architect.
- OSHA-compliant fall protection per 29 CFR 1910.29, 29 CFR 1926.501(b) (4) and 29 CFR 1926.502.
- One-piece, welded design. No assembly required.
- No drilling into hatch or roof. Elastomeric tipped compression bolts are tightened against the curb of the roof hatch.
- Self-closing gate included.
- 24 in (610 mm) safe landing zone. Personnel can safely step out of the hatch and gain their footing, prior to engaging the gate.
- Built-in grab bars.
- Finish: Steel surfaces.
** NOTE TO SPECIFIER ** Select the finish and color required from the following paragraphs. Delete those not required.
- Hot Dip Zinc Galvanized.
- Factory finished powder coat paint.
- Hot Dip Zinc Galvanized and factory finished powder coat paint.
** NOTE TO SPECIFIER ** Delete color options not required.
- Color: None.
- Color: Safety Yellow.
- Color: _.
- Color: Specified by Architect.
- 3 EXECUTION
- Do not begin installation until substrates have been properly prepared.
- If substrate preparation is the responsibility of another installer, notify Architect of unsatisfactory preparation before proceeding.
- Clean surfaces thoroughly prior to installation.
- Prepare surfaces using the methods recommended by the manufacturer for achieving the best result for the substrate under the project conditions.
- Install in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions, approved submittals and in proper relationship with adjacent construction.
- Protect installed products until completion of project.
- Touch-up, repair or replace damaged products before Substantial Completion.
END OF SECTION
RELATED TOPICS: safe roof access, roof hatch guardrail, safe roof access system, industrial self-closing safety gate, hatch guardrail system, self-closing safety gate, safety gate, access ladder, roof hatch railing