New OSHA Fall Protection Rule regulations went into effect on January 17, 2017. Some provisions for fixed ladders over 24 feet have delayed effective dates. Here are three OSHA fixed ladder fall protection requirements with delayed effective dates (source):
- Installing fall protection (personal fall arrest systems, ladder safety systems, cages, wells) on existing fixed ladders (over 24 feet) that do not have any fall protection by November 19, 2018.
- Installing of personal fall arrest systems or ladder safety systems on all new fixed ladders (over 24 feet) and replacement ladders/ladder sections by November 19, 2018.
- Replacing cages and wells (used as fall protection) with ladder safety or personal fall arrest systems on all fixed ladders over 24 feet by November 18, 2036.
These delayed effective dates give industry time to update products and procedures for fixed ladder fall protection. Employers can follow the new OSHA rule for fixed ladders over 24 feet before it goes into effect.
Some customers prefer the added safety of a cage for shorter climbs. Whether you have a need for fixed ladder fall protection for under or over 24 feet, EDGE Fall Protection has OSHA-compliant products available to fit your needs and applications.
EDGE Available Ladder Products
Our Fixed Roof Access Ladder is made in the USA with a variety of options to allow for customization for your needs and safety requirements. Some options include
- Fixed Roof Access Ladder Walk-Thru Bars
These bars or boarding rails are added to a steel ladder 42 inches from the working surface of the rooftop. They allow workers to securely exit and enter the rooftop.
- Fixed Roof Access Ladder Platform
This ladder platform can guide workers away from an obstruction such as a conduit or pipe. A ladder platform allows workers to safely cross over a slippery or wide parapet. It is also useful when a wide parapet is along a leading roof edge.
- Roof Access Ladder Security Doors
These doors come at a standard height of 7 feet to ensure that no one has access to the rooftop who shouldn’t. The doors are equipped for lockout/tagout when required.
Another ladder option to consider is our non-penetrating Ladder Guard with its self-closing safety gate and ladder spanner clamps. A ladder guard safely guides workers toward or away from an access ladder.