Permanent Roof Warning Line System
Our permanent roof warning line system for flat roof fall protection, The Enduraline Warning Line, is designed to last on your roof longer than the roof itself! The Enduraline Warning Line utilizes our permanent non-penetrating bases and stanchions with a tough powder coated safety yellow or galvanized finish and stamped aluminum flagging every 6’ on galvanized aircraft cable with a polyurethane lining. Place the system 15’ from the roof edge to ensure that everyone has a visual awareness of the roof edge. If a unit needs to be serviced within the 15’ of the roof edge, the Enduraline permanent roof warning line system incorporates easily into our 360 Mobile Safety Rail System for continued compliance and safety. If roof modifications ever need to be made, the Enduraline is a completely portable visual warning line system! (See this page for our freestanding safety rail system.)
OSHA Roof Warning Line
While there has been some confusion on when to use a permanent roof warning line system for flat roof fall protection, there are some key things to note when using a visual roof warning line like the Enduraline warning line system. For this warning line to be effective and within OSHA compliance, it must meet the following criteria:
- Warning line is used 15′ or more from the roof edge
- The warning line meets or exceeds the requirements in §1926.502(f)(2);
- No work or work-related activity is to take place in the area between the warning line and the hole or edge; and
- The employer effectively implements a work rule prohibiting the employees from going past the warning line.
Confusion of the “6′ Warning Line Rule”
There are a few select scenarios where a 6′ warning line is an acceptable use of fall protection. These scenarios included: low-slope roof work, some leading-edge work, precast concrete erection and residential construction §1926.501(b)(2), (12), and (13). For any permanent visual warning line system, it almost always requires warning line to be placed 15′ or greater from the leading edge.
Main OSHA Warning Line System requirements – 1926.502(f)
- Flagging on the warning line shall be of a highly visible material and spacing must not exceed 6′ – 1926.502(f)(2)(i)
- The lowest point of sag shall not be less than 34″ or greater than 39″ – 1926.502(f)(2)(ii)
- Stanchions shall be capable of resisting 16 pounds of force – 1926.502(f)(2)(iii)
- Minimum tensile strength shall be 500 pounds –
RELATED TOPICS: permanent roof warning line system, Enduraline warning line, OSHA Roof warning line, flat roof fall protection